Nathan likes to build audiences and companies.
In the past, he’s worked on building iPhone apps, writing books, and coding websites. He got his start as a web and software designer but soon became obsessed with the world of audience building and book publishing. During that time he wrote 3 books 2 courses and built an email list of 37,000 subscribers.
Nathan wrote two books on design that received rave reviews. Both books together have sold over 2,500 copies. His last book was to teach people how to market and sell their ebooks.
The first, The App Design Handbook, focuses on creating iPhone and iPad apps that are a joy to use. I wrote it because my designer and developer friends kept asking me for great resources for learning iOS design. After not finding much, I decided to share my own experiences and designs.
In the second book, Designing Web Applications, I take the same design principles and apply them to design elegant software-as-a-service web applications.
My latest book is on self-publishing. The ideas and techniques I used publishing my first two books have helped my friends make tens of thousands of dollars more on their own books. So I took everything I know about writing, marketing, and selling ebooks and put it in one handy spot.
Want To Create + Sell Your Own Ebook?
- An eBook pricing model that resulted in $100,000 in sales
- Are You Making the Most Common Pricing Mistake?
- Driving ongoing book sales with a sample chapter
- Nathan Barry’s Lessons Learned Selling $355,759 on Gumroad
- How Nathan Barry Made $12,000 in eBook Income in 24 Hours
- Nathan Barry’s Launch Sequence that Generated $16,000 in 72 hours
- My Experience Selling With Gumroad
In October 2014 I made the decision to walk away from the book and training business and focus full-time on ConvertKit (at the time we had just $1,000/month in revenue). Since then we’ve grown 300x and have an amazing team, product, and customer
Right now 110% of my time is focused on building ConvertKit, an email marketing company for professional bloggers. Think the power of Infusionsoft, but easier to use than MailChimp. It’s used by amazing people like Leo Babauta, Pat Flynn, Chris Guillebeau, and 12,000 more great bloggers.
via About page
- Growing ConvertKit to $5,020 in Monthly Recurring Revenue
- Solving The Cash Problems From Self-Funding Rapid Growth
- How we’re scaling ConvertKit’s infrastructure to grow with our customers
- Email Marketing Startup ConvertKit RAISES $1.8m From Large Group Of Angel Investors
- FROM LOSING MONEY TO A 51% PROFIT MARGIN IN 5 MONTHS
- How Nathan Barry grew ConvertKit from zero to $125,000+ in monthly recurring revenue (Part 1)
- How we decreased churn by 14.7% in April by doing things that don’t scale
- Why I Ignore Great Advice from My Smartest Friends
- Why Honesty is the Best Policy When Growing a Team
Craft + Commerce Conference
When it comes down to it, I believe it’s about staying true to who you are as blogger and business owner. If you have legitimate value to provide, absolutely go and create that online course. Go after your unique angle even if it’s just teaching people how to make money.
That company or project you started isn’t working out. You were excited, early customers were excited, but once you launched nothing really happened. Even worse, it’s not a total failure. You made some money. Not enough to grow, but at least a few people paid for it.
When do you pull the plug and move on?
It’s everywhere. People without any online business experience – never created a product or service, launched a course, built a social media following, or even thought about ROI – have put themselves in the spotlight to teach about these topics they know nothing about.
- How did a 23-year-old manage more than $400K in revenue with his self-published books?
- How Nathan Barry Turned ConvertKit Into an $8M+ Business in 4 Years
- ConvertKit on IndieHackers (Interview): In 2013, Nathan Barry challenged himself to start a software company. Today, ConvertKit generates $600,000 every month. Here’s how he did it.
- From college dropout to $828,000 in monthly recurring revenue with Nathan Barry of ConvertKit (FTF 3.5)
- Direct Sales and Starting Something New with Nathan Barry
- Nathan Barry, CEO of ConvertKit on Word of Mouth, Email, and Crowded Markets